Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed firewire card - PC wont shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisp

Programmer
Aug 5, 2001
GB
I installed a firewire card yesterday (DABS value version). Since then I have been unable to shut off my PC. I select the shut-down option from the start menu. The PC goes through its usual routine and appears to switch off OK, but then immediately it switches itself back on and reboots!

What is going on here? Do I have a duff firewire card? What could cause a PC to switch on automatically when a PCI card is installed?

OS is Windows 98. Pentuim III 800 on a chaintech 6ATA2 MoBo with VIA chipset.

Take the card out to see if it's the problem. I doubt it, though. You may have altered something during installation either in the OS or inside the case...

Its the card that is the problem. If I remove it the PC shuts down fine. The strange thing is if I replace the card with the power off but the mains still connected the PC starts up by itself!

The card itself works perfectly though.....

Go into the 'Start' button, 'Programs', 'Accessories', 'System Tools' and run 'System Information'. Then click 'Tools' and then 'System Configuration Utility'. Click on the 'Advanced' button and then click on the box (to put a check mark in the box) for 'Disable Fast Shutdown'. That will usually fix it. Your mileage may vary...

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Unfortunatley nothing I do appears to work, so I've ordered a new firewire card to see if that solves the problem.

I'll let you know if the fault is cured.

Incidentally, the card I have at the moment is an InnoDV DV 1000LE.

I have a different problem with a Belkin FireWire card -- my PC will boot up when I put in any available slot.

I just make sure I've unplugged the power cord before I mess around with that card...

FXWizard:

Please make sure that you have a free IRQ before installing the card. Check in your Device Manager for details.

Of course, this does not really tell everything due to Windows PnP reassigning IRQ's. The BIOS PnP system will assign IRQ's during bootup, which the Windows PnP system is free to change if you have selected 'PnP OS installed?' in the PCI settings of your motherboard.

It is possible that the FireWire card is defaulting to a IRQ which the system absolutely requires to run - like the video card or IDE channel, for instance. If it cannot solve a massive conflict it just may not continue with the boot process.

Of course, the card could also be defective... Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back