Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installed cd-rw - can only startup in safe mode - d: not shown up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendonia

Technical User
Oct 11, 2003
GB
i installed a cd-rw on windows 98. it worked a few times NOW I CANT START UP MY COMPUTER!!! i can only start up in safe mode and in my computer THE D: ISN'T THERE!!!

it is a ARTEC 52x 34X 52X
nero express 5.5
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hi there, make sure that all cables are tight and that the CD/RW is jumpered correctly (remember that on one IDE cable there should be one drive (hd or cd) be jumpered as Master and the other as Slave if there is only one drive jumper it as MASTER)... also the Master drive should be on the end of the cable...

Ben

ide 1 --------------------- hdd
ide2 -------------------cd-rw--------------dvdrom

sound port1 ------------dvdrom
sound port 2 -----------cd -rw

THATS HOW I HAVE IT...
and there on random powercables that connect

does it matter how i connect this???

IM CONFUSED...please could some1 send me a pic or sommit to help me!!!

Make sure the two devices on the same cable are set master and slave, make sure the cable is on the right way. Disconnect the sound connections until you get the rest figured out. let us know how it goes.

when i start up (with it in) it says

an exception OE has occured at 0028:c1576189 in VxD scsiport (01) +
ooooo7d9.
this was called from 0028:c1831864 in VxD scsi1hlp (03) +
00000774. it may be possible to continue normally.

i press any key and the screen goes blank and stays there.
i can start in safe mode. and with no ems memory (go into dos and type win).

when the computer is starting up and shutting down i can open the tray of the cd-rw BUT when i am logged on i cant open the cd-rw tray the dvd rom works fine WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!

it looks like the system is searching for a scsi drive, not an ide drive. did you ever have a scsi drive installed - hdd or optical? look in device manager for a scsi device and remove it - it might solve the problem.

what is a scsi drive and why would it affect it?

how do i remove scsi drivers?

is it in add/remove hardware/software or somming similar

HELP ME!!!

Any typical IDE setup should usually look like this:

(PRIMARY) [IDE1]---------SLAVE-------MASTER
. DVD-ROM CD-RW

(SECONDARY) [IDE2]---------SLAVE-------MASTER
. HARD DRIVE HARD DRIVE

Take the problem devices out of your computer.
Reboot the computer.
You should look when you first boot the computer, before it even goes into Windows, and check to see that all devices are showing up and detecting correctly.

Boot to the Command prompt by hitting F8 when it starts booting and then at the menu choose the option for command prompt only (usually option 5) Once you get to the command prompt, then type in scanreg /fix and hit enter. Win98 will attempt to correct any issues you've caused while trying to get this thing installed. Once you do that then boot into Windows, assuming it will. Go online to and look for a program called ASPICHK. This program will tell you if your ASPI drivers need to be updated. If they need to be updated, you should be able to find the latest ASPI drivers online with ease. If a CD came with the drive, there may be software on it to do this.
In either case, Run the little executable to update the ASPI Drivers, and then once that's installed, then shut down windows, and put your RW drive back in.. Reboot, and as long as the BIOS is configured properly you should be lookin' a lot better.

Good luck
-IQ

When you bootup the system hit the f1, f8 or delete key(whichever one the system says will put you in the setup menu) and go in and find out what is listed as what. You may have two devices set as master in the setup and it is getting confused as to what is wanted. You can have the cable set correctly but if the setup reads different then your computer will not function in a normal state.

peyton94

ok.. i took the drive out and did that scanreg/fix but it still comes up with the message. in setup menu. it has:

ide1
not installed
not installed
cd-rom

what do i need to do to correct this.

some1 suggested to remove scsi drivers how do i do this?

brendonia, It's telling you you have the HD on primary master and the CD on secondary slave.

I think all this sounds like you've had both cdrw and cd
as master or slave simultaniosly . If you have old IDE cable for the roms (40 pin) then it't the middle connector that connects to master , and the one in the end to slave .
Other option is to strap both roms to CSEL (cable select) and let the decide for themself accordimg to connection on the cables.

I've had som cdrom drives that almost have been insisting beeing the master drive . If one config dont play ,alter it . Try the DVDrom as master first as it seems that it's the older one , and the cdrw as slave .

If you still have the problem with both trying to be master, set the slave with no jumper (CS)most ROM devices support this. I have had to set two ROMS to CS to get them to work before.

how do you st the jumper....HELP ME.. any 1 got a pic?

The jumper field are usually between the IDE connector and the sound output connector.
If you take the cdroms completely out of the box ,there should be a sticker at the top of the drive with a drawing of the jumper fields and written witch pins to shorten at jumper field .It can be different order of theese from different manufacturers .

//Regards Soaplover

ok... i found the jumper port how do i edit it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back