Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed a replacement CDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnajoe83

Technical User
Feb 7, 2004
US
Hi:

We just installed a replacement CDR (TEAC CD552E/S Internal CDR) because the previous one that was originally supplied with our Compaq Presario stopped working. (We are new at this type of installation).

After installation and startup of the pc, "My Computer" did not display the icons for either the new CDR (E Drive) or the existing Read/Write CDR (F Drive). Both were unplugged and replugged during the installation of the new drive. However, the doors to both drives will open and close.

This new CDR did not come with a driver and when I checked in "Install New Hardware", it did not list TEAC America.

When checking the System Properties under "Disk Drives", it lists: Generic IDE Disk Type01 and Generic NEC Floppy Disk.

I also checked TEAC America's website and when I typed in "CD552E/S Drivers" , it came up with "Desktop IDE CD Rom Drivers listing various models, one of which was CD552E (52X).

Question #1) Is this "Desktop IDE CD Rom Driver CD552E"
the same as the "Internal" CD552E/S that I bought and installed?

If so, it says that "TEAC provides drivers for the MS-DOS environment only. "If you need the driver, please download the compressed file ATAPICD.EXE. When decompressed, this file contains the MS-DOS Driver (TEAC_CDI.SYS version 1.27Q) and the instructions file IDE_DOS.DOC. These instructions apply to all of the mentioned models and include the necessary steps for creating a bootable disk."

Question #2) If I download this, will there be a problem as I use Windows ME. I realize I also have DOS, but am not extremely familiar with its commands.

Question #3) I am confused by their statement "creating a bootable disk". I am not looking for a boot disk for DOS, Windows, etc., just a driver for my new repl. cdr.

Question #4) Now that my pc doesn't recognize my read/write
cdr drive either (per "MY Computer"), do I need to reload this driver also? If so, I don't have the driver and I'm not even sure of the brand, except it is the original one that came with the M/N 5WV280 Presario (M/N 5000, I believe). I do have the Compaq Quick Restore disks, but do not prefer to do this as I would have to reload and set everything else up again. I didn't even see this drive listed under "Properties" unless I am just not recognizing it.

I am sure (or at least I hope) there are easier ways to fix both of these drives. Can anyone offer some advise and answer these questions. Although they are probably fairly simple questions to those who are familiar with adding hardware, as I said, this is our first time, so detailed explanations would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

I would have expected the bios to find the new one and continue on without a glitch. The fact that it doesn't leads me to believe that you didn't set the selection jumpers on the new drive correctly.
On the back of the old drive you will find 6 pins with a jumper block on 2 of them and ususally a stamped label designating them in vertical pairs as MA SL CS, standing for master, slave, and cable select. The new drive should have the same designated pair jumpered.
And make sure you didn't pull the cable loose on the M/B end while you were messing with the CD end.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Also, make sure that the red(or blue or gray) stripe along the one edge of the IDE(ribbon) cable is next the the power lead on the back of the drive, and next to pin 1 at the MB connection.

If that's ok, then try a different IDE cable, and use a different power lead.

Also, if both drives are installed on the secondary(IDE 2) channel, then make sure that the channel is enabled in BIOS.

If nothing seems to work, then see if installing either the new or the old CD-R drive on IDE 1 works.
Sometimes different optical drives do not like being on the same IDE channel.

Thanks! We'll try checking the installation as you suggest and we'll let you know what happens.

edfair and ski have pretty much summed up what you need to check. However, if it still does not work, check for bent pins where your IDE cable plugs into the motherboard and CD drives.

My guess is that it's a jumper thing just like Ed says. I would guess that the old cdrw was c\s, if the other one is then that is what the new one should be.
Keep us posted,
Cindy
P.S. If it's not jumpered right it won't show up in your computer.

Thank all of you for your help. Yes, the jumper was on the wrong pins. Now it is all fine.

Thanks again. We very much appreciate your help!!!

Hi! cdr not showing installed but it is recognized in bios
and device manager and every place else except at first with
roxio now after reloading software and update it burns but
reboot pc and win says "found new hardware memorex 52maxx
3252j1 then error says "cannot load installer..." drivers
I suspect.this was a replacement cdr secondary ide as "csl".
no driver came with cdrw just nero suite. Been looking for a
driver for it at memorex and all over. No go. It works but
reboot and cancell out all the windows. win2000 which is
nortorious for no drivers. I have had win2000 since 2001 from
dell and had adaptec cd as oem and loaded that up to begin
with and it would not recognize new cdrw until I loaded up
easy cd creator five with update and managed to get it to
recognize the drive by inserting and reinserting a disk.
How can I get win2000 to recognize new drive?
anyone??? thanks
elihu

elihu, you might want to start a new thread with your question and post in the windows 2000 forum if your trouble is not fixed by selecting the correct jumper settings.

I am new at this site and I realized too late after I posted
this
thanks franklin97355
Did just that
see ya oooops.....just seen that win2000 OO..kay....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back