Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation- Windows xp professional freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanua

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
I have tried several times to install windows xp professioanl on a new hard drive but after all files copied and the system reboots to complete the installation, it freezes. I thought is the hard drive so I replaced it with another new drive and changed the cd rom but all these attempts failed.Any idea.

any errormessage?
get ultimate boot cd, boot from it and do some tests on mainboard, harddrive....

Hi,

Have you formatted the Harddisk with the software from the Vendor??? I had major issues with installing various OS`s until it was formatted with the Vendors specific tool. ( Believe mine was a Maxtor Disk )

Lee

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNP,CWNA,CCSA,Project+

sounds like a driver problem or a piece of hardware is messing up on you...

please list the specs of the machine...

PS: if you have more than 2gig, reduce the mem to 1gig for install purpose, once xp is installed you can add the rest of the RAM later... on some mainboards, XP will just choke with more than 2gigs...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Are you going from IDE to SATA? If so, be sure to load the SATA drivers during the OS install...

roland63 said:
...be sure to load the SATA drivers during the OS install.

Very true, good point. In lieu of drivers (which XP requires through floppy drive), in the BIOS, select "SATA as IDE" or "Legacy Mode" SATA.
[reindeer]

Tony

Users helping Users...

roland63 - as Tony mentioned it is a valid point... but he is already past that stage! Which is why I mentioned that it is a driver issue or a piece of hardware which is messing up on him...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

What sub-version of XP?
What Motherboard?

Some motherboards will not work with all versions of XP. Some motherboards require at minimum XP with SP2. This is sometimes due to the BIOS.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back