Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i have both version 7.0 and 7.1 of red hat linux. But v7.0 doesnt have my video card drivers. So i installed v7 and then tryed to upgrade to 7.1 (because 7.1 is acting wierd, and always quits after "transfering installation image to harddrive") but when i go to upgrade the same thing. So i am stuck in shell.This is a brand new computer without an os. So i need to know if there is a way i could add my drivers to version 7.0 on my computer.

Did you download and burn the ISO's yourself?? If so, are you sure they have been correctly done?

I have seen a similar error during an installation where the ISO's were incorrectly downloaded (as ASCII rather than BINARY transfer) and it caused very weird installaion errors.

AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

You guys using RedHat Linux.... I used RedHat linux and had lots of problems with lots of things including stability issues, I switched to Mandrake 7.2 which is RedHat linux tweaked heavily, The mandrake distribution works much better and is very stable compared to RedHat itself, they have much better support for hardware in my opinion. The only drawback to mandrake so far is they like to try and load a bunch of Proggies you'll never use so you have to remove them from the list (time consuming) before installing, but if you don't mind doing that I recommend Mandrake and am pretty confident you'll find it a much better distro then RedHat 7.0 or 7.2 and you should have a lot less problems and save a lot of time that RedHat generally requires to get everything running right...
Hope this helps a little...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back