Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation root

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanstiefenhofer

Technical User
Feb 11, 2003
DE
Hallo,

is there a possibility to change the default
installation path of windows2k server?
I need to install a emergency-windows in a different
directory.
Also for unattended setup?

Thanks for replies

yust install an another win2000, but don't install it in the same dir. as your first install.

i don't know if it suiteble for unattended setup

Sorry, but you can´t change the directory
when you first install w2k server.

on a rescue system there is no previous
windows installation.

I have to change the path to winnt_not, e.g.
for a complete tape-restore afterwards.

Thanks

You can install it on another partition or hard drive. I've done this at home... created the original partition to use x% of the drive, installed 2k; in 2k, create another primary partition with y% of the remainder of the drive and made it the active partition. On reboot, install 2k to the now active empty partition. I have two running os's on the same hard drive. to switch, change the other partition to active and reboot. So now I have a second partition to use as an emergency boot. Of course the SIDs are different but its nice to have in case of an emergency. It also provides flexibility in a lab setup... One computer can act like another different computer by changing the active partition and rebooting. You can create up to 4 primary partitions on one hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back