Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi all,

Sorry - I know it's not strictly development related, but I can't find a more appropiate forum!!!

My question is; as a web developer in ASP.net (and traditional ASP) - do you need permissions on Windows to install applications?
As the apps are web based, there isn't a traditional .msi package to deploy - rather code that is compiled and placed on IIS - plus access to a SQL server.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

How are you attempting to install the application i.e. are you using a Publish option, XCOPY, dropping the files into a directory etc.

Also, are you actually getting an error or are you just asking a question?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Are you installing a windows app? If so it will depend on the permissions of the current user trying to install I believe. An application can also check to make sure you have suffficient privaledges to specific directories etc.

You can create an MSI through a web publish package. I used that option to deploy a web site with Crystal Reports merge modules in it. In that case, I am sure you need admin rights on the server to install the app, and Windows sees it as an installed application under the Control Panel.

I never do an MSI unless I have to for a reason like I mentioned above (need to add merge modules to the compiled code). I usually just publish the application locally, then copy the compiled files from the local directory to the remote server as needed. In that case, I have found I just need permissions to the folders.

This might not be appropriate for every situation, and others may have better ways. But this has worked well for me, especially when deploying to hosted web servers.

I hope this information is helpful,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back