Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnothinghead

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2001
US
I just built a computer and I'm attempting to install Win 2k professional. The os begins to load and after formatting the hard drive the install continues to load and then suddenly I get the blue screen.

I've had a couple different errors - one with an ntfs.sys error and the other saying "trying to write to read only memory".

Is there any thing I can do to force the install? I am thinking it is a hardware compatibility issue though all of my components are compatible with 2K.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Does the bios have an anti-virus setting - and is it enabled? If so, disable it & try again.

Otherwise, I'd agree its hardware related - probably a faulty piece of hardware or possibly 2 items causing a conflict. Try removing all cards apart from graphics, any CD writer/zip drive/second hard drive and if more than one memory stick, try one at a time (if only one stick, get hold of another known good stick to try). See if you can install to minimal hardware - if so, add pieces back one at a time.

i agree with prior comments on win2000 pro there has been many complaints of this type of error when installing win2000 op to home built or custom built computers i.e. it is usually the case that the mother board bios needs to be flashed or it is a hardware conflict. i have been working with computers software / hardware for 15 years now and this is a fairly frequent problem. try this : remove the modem and network card if applicable / go into your cmos setting and disable anti-virus if applicable. the problem is more then likely there is a com port / modem issue. now if this works when you are done installing win2000 shut down adn then reinsert modem adn or nic into you pci or iss slot then reboot your pc will pick them up and install then you will need to set the IRQ and input /output range ! good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back