Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of XP takes forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindsweeper

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
AU
Hello everyone, I recently purchased Windows XP professional and am having trouble installing it onto my Windows ME system. The problem is this, whenever the progress indicator reaches 76 mins to end it seem to just stop there, although there is harddisk activity. To terminate this, I press ctrl+del and end task. My computer is still able to function properly still. I left the computer overnight and still the same thing happened. I then switched off anything running in the background and tried again. However that did not solve the problem. So can anyone please help me as I have run out of ideas and is very frustrated. Thank you.

please be more specific on how u are upgrading.

1. which method are u using.
a. upgrade/clean install via windows
b. upgrade install via dos
c. clean install via dos

2. Did you run the compatibility test?
3. Is your version of ME considered CLEAN install?
4. Is your version of ME considered UPGRADED?
5. what speed is your current computer?
6. what memory do u current have?
7. I have never seen the time indictor ever show more that 56 min.
8. what function is XP doing when it (hangs) or continues to work and you deside to shut it off.
XP tester and operator since Feb. Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Hello there, thank you very much for responding. I have just restored my computer as it was a year ago when it was brand new. I did this because something was wrong, the partions and etc were stuffed. Basically I restored it by Norton Ghost and the system is well now. However, I have a different problem now. Having gone through the first phase of installation (first restart) with only two incompatible programs, my webcam and ehthernet card, the installation hits the wall at the screen where the installation takes place at DOS instead of windows. The basic features and design is the same but poorer colour quality if you get what I mean. The progress indicator is within the range of 50-60 mins this time but then swithces to another blue screen saying that my c: is corrupt even though I've ran scandisk twice already.
Could you suggest any ways I can fix that problem? Thanks.

probably problem with your mobo bios version. I thing that you should try updating to latest ver.

Hi:

I had difficulty loading Windows XP the first time. I completed to Setup, but I had weird problems such as the Device Manager would not display. I had a floppy Startup disk from Windows ME. I popped that puppy in the A-drive and formatted the hard drive. Then, I re-loaded Windows XP. The process went quickly(than before) and smoothly. Everything worked okay after that. But I still need some updated drivers. All of the devices are operating except by HP Scanjet 3300CSE scanner(waiting for the new CD for XP).
I suspect that whatever problem you are having, the formatting will probably cure the problem.

Check your Windows ME user's manual to run the Startup floppy disk. You will want to start up "with CD ROM."(re the Startup floppy).

Good luck!

Fourls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back