Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of Win 2000 on top of Win 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzilla

MIS
Jan 13, 2003
US
Is it possible to install Win 2000 professional on a PC that has Win 98 running and keep the old OS intact? What are my options? Thank you!

yes

you will need either a second hard drive, a second partition on current drive, free space to make second partition or something like Partition Magic to shrink existing partition to make room for second (for win2k).

You have a number of options then - simplest to get up and running is to install 2k in the free partition/drive, automatically creating a dual boot (2k's boot loader).
might be helpful. You can start the install from 98 - choose clean install & that you want to specify where to install.

Be aware that if you want to remove 98 at a later stage, its not straightfoward. Boot sector for 2k will be on C: (98 drive), so you need to preserve it or you'll lose ability to boot 2k (basically ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini files in root of C:). Make an insurance 2k boot floppy - copy said 3 files to newly formatted floppy (after you install 2k of course). This will boot 2k if boot sector goes missing.

Yes,
You can and you don't necessary need a new partition or hard drive you can multi boot it but you Probable will want to get a second hard drive. I have used partition magic and I did not have good luck with but you might. I have done multi booting before so I know a little. So if you have any Questions, let me know.

Thank you very much, especially to wolluf, for taking the time to give me detailed information. You have confirmed what I knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back