Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installation of SCSI tape drive (Archive Corporation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogradePAK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
CA
"Kernal relink" problem when trying to install SCSI tape drive of 150mb capacity of Archive corporation, SCSI card is ISA. Version of SCO open server is 5.0.5. Please help

Where did it fail? And what error messages? I've found that tape install problems have to do with corrupted tape stuff installed on original load. So my first step in a scsi tape install is to remove the built in tape driver stuff, rebuild , reboot , then install the new.
Might help if we knew the scsi brand and the drivers it is running under. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

All SCSI tapes were removed from the system using 'mkdev tape'. Now, when the /etc/conf/cf.d/link_unix command is run to relink
the kernel, it fails with error messages similar to the following:

The UNIX Operating System will now be rebuilt.
This will take a few minutes. Please wait.

Root for this system build is /

"/var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.0Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h", line 63:
Syntax error
"/var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.0Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h", line 65:
warning: sizeof returns 0
"/var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.0Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h", line 70:
Syntax error

ERROR: '/var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.0Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c'
will not compile properly

i386ld stubs.o fatal: Can't open file
/var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.0Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.o for input

ERROR: Can not link-edit unix

idbuild: idmkunix had errors.
System build failed.

Solution

In order to correct this problem, run 'mkdev tape' and add a SCSI tape drive. In order to save time, do not choose to relink the kernel.
Note that you may be unable to add a second device at the original device parameters. If this is the case, then use a different scsi id,
bus or lun to add the drive.

Edit the file /etc/conf/sdevice.d/Stp and delete the second line.

Then, run 'mkdev tape' again and remove the SCSI tape drive. Relink the kernel.

I encountered the exact problem. Ended up contacting SCO (who, interestingly enough, inform me this "is not a bug"????). I tried the above procedure to no avail. I ended up editing space.h by hand (and another file too, I don't remember which). Net result: I can now relink my kernel but it always hangs at the "Press ctrl-d or give root password" prompt unless I login in single-user mode and then exit it.

I guess it's a feature.

You don't say what type of card you are using. Are you sure you are using the correct driver for the card?

I have built many Openserver 5.x's, all with a scsi streamer but we always use the Adaptec 2940 PCI series. This has never given any problems - can you not change to a supported PCI scsi card?

Roy Thomas

Hi

I want to add a SCSI Tape Drive on my Dell PowerEdge Server but each time I try to check the status I get the follwong error message 'tape : cannot open /dev/xct0'.

I have also noticed that when I run the command hwconfig -h I don't get the tape entry of say 'Stp-0'

My HP Tape Drive is connected on CH. B and ID=6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back