Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of Lotus 123 Version 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfr

Technical User
Jan 6, 2002
US
Is there any way to move the Lotus 123 Version 5 installation disks (3.5 floppies) to cd's or some other medium? Eventually, I suppose I'll have to give up on Lotus 123 Ver 5 (my son calls it "Caveman 123"), but not until I have no choice. I would like to be able to install or re-install from something other than the floppies that came with it.

Hi "Caveman 123", I have a suggestion that "might" be useful.

dalewatson at mts dot net

bfr

I transferred my floppies to CD some years ago.
I created a folder Lotus 123 Rel 5 and then copied the contents of each disk into this folder. I then copied this folder onto a CD.

It is amazing how quickly Rel 5 installs from a CD.

toolman59

Yeehaw! That worked great. Thanks so much. Now I don't have to worry that my next computer won't even have a floppy drive or, worse, that one of my Lotus floppies won't work next time.
BFR

Hmmm. That didn't work after all. It appears to work, copies the files from the CD over to the hard disk but then when I try to open 123 I get a message that it can't find the initialization file and instructs me to run install which I can't. I can install just fine from the floppies however, so something is happening when I copy the floppies to the hard drive and then to the cd. Any idea what is going on?
Bruce

bfr

I have just installed Rel 5 on my latest Win XP SP3 installation to confirm that my CD installs correctly. It opens and runs correctly.

This is the list of files that installs Rel 5 for me. It would be worth checking your CD against this list and against your floppies.

CINSTALL.INI
INFLATE5.EXE
INFLATE5.RI
INSTALL.DSK
INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.INI
INSTALL.LST
IVCW.DLL
LOTUS001.DSK
LOTUS002.DSK
LOTUS003.DSK
LOTUS004.DSK
LOTUS005.DSK
LOTUS006.DSK
LOTUS007.DSK
README.TXT
READNET.TXT
SN.DAT
UNARJD.DLD
UNARJW.DLL

Hope this helps.

toolman59

Hmmmm. None of my floppies have the file SN.DAT included on your list so it doesn't copy over to the hard drive. Also, when I try to install from the CD there is a message relating to the serial number - I can't remember exactly what the message is. I can install any number of times on any number of different computers from the floppies, but not from the cd. What do you think is going on?
Bruce

bfr

Sn.dat is a hidden file, make sure in Windows explorer/tools/folder options/View/hidden files and folders that "show hidden files and folders" is selected.

toolman59

toolman,

Well, that worked - or at least I found the SN.DAT file and copied it over so I have the same files on my cd that you do. Tonight, I'll see if it will install.

Thanks.

BFR

toolman,

One more question: How can I tell if I have Rel 5 or Rel 5.01 and does it make any difference? Are there improvements from 5 to 5.01 significant enough to make it worth upgrading?

BFR

Don't forget the year 2000 update for versions 5.0 & 5.1.

You can find it at the following address:

ftp://ftp.support.lotus.com/pub/desktop/123/y2kupdates/

I may be doing something wrong, but that link doesn't work. Also, when I go to IBM's support for Lotus there are no downloads for 123. Anyone know anything about that?
BFR

bfr

To confirm your version of Rel 5 search for file 123w.exe, then right click on it, select properties,click on version tab, this will give you all the information for the build of your 123 release. Mine is 5.0.0.544, somewhere amongst my backups I should have updates for release 5, but finding them will take some time.

toolman59

toolman,

I did what you suggested and mine is the same as yours, 5.0.0.544 so I guess I'm as up to date with Rel 5 as I can be. Thanks.

BFR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back