Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of DirectX 6 on NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgdavid

Programmer
Jun 22, 2000
DE
As some of you may know, it exists some un-official releases of DirectX for windows NT 4 (directX greater than 3). I've just found one and try to install it.<br><br>Yes, of course, I know such operation is quite dangerous and can resolve in a system crash just after booting. I assume I risk to have to re-install my Pc.<br><br>The problem is that I am unable to copy one of the required files in the system32 because of an shared-acces violation (the file is probably allready opened by the system). And my file system is NTFS, so I can not do the replacement of the file by booting on some DOS/win9x floppy disk.<br><br>The file which causes problem is Msvcrt.dll<br><br>Does someone know how to replace this file ? Is there a way to say to the system to not load this dll at startup ? Or does someone know how installation programm makes to replace such files (I supposed this is make at start'up whit a special registry key) ?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>David.

I always install a second copy of NT on the same system disk to boot in case of an emergency or also to resolve cases like this.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back