Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of aerial fiber in cold temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sphoneman

Vendor
Aug 31, 2003
US
Here we go- Winter is upon us and of course someone needs to have a figure 8 aerial fiber run about 2000 ft.

Has anyone installed sucessfully in cold temperatures before?

We have already had nights below freezing with the day temps in the 40's & it's only going to get colder.

I told them to wait until spring (I've done enough OSP work in the cold), but I don't think they are up to that.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Warm clothes and the right equipment.

We have already had nights below freezing with the day temps in the 40's & it's only going to get colder.

With that attitude you better move to Florida!

-Hal

Warmth. Good idea. This job is not a norm, as it is right along a river which usually has a good 20 mile hour wind currents.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

I own two bucket trucks. The last fiber project I performed was prior to cold weather. I have not found any resources for installation temperatures without any risk to damage the fiber.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

hey you gotta look @ it this its made to go
outside and has to be strung carfully!! Have you
thougt about asking the MGR of the aerial fiber themself?

I useually see the techs doing splice work in the winter in a heated tent. not too often do you see the techs out actually stringing the cable at below zero temps but above zero I have seen it done. If you check with the cable manufacturer they will probably have some words about temperature and installation (warantee) and may even have cold weather practices for you.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I'll agree that zero and below is a bit too cold, not for the cable but to work. I do remember being unmercifully sent out when it was 10 below. Yeah, it was cold but we got the job done. Of course that was 25 years ago when I was younger, maybe that had something to do with it.

If your concern is with the cable I would check with the manufacturer as to cold weather handling. I can't see where there would be a problem- it's made to be installed outside right? Maybe you are using Florida cable?

As to working methods, you do have to do things a little differently than you would in the summer. Not every day is going to be sunny and in the 70's unless you work inside. If you are a professional, want to get the job and make some money you can't tell the customer that they will have to wait for spring.

-Hal

I suspect if you condition the fiber for 48 hours where it is warm, and you can get it placed in hooks or on pullys quickly that you won't damage it. Of course it depends on what you are putting up, I don't think i'd do cheap tight buffer indoor outdoor stuff, but OSP loose tube stuff with a substantial strength member should survive.

Yeah...cold work sucks. As always, call the cable manufacturer and let them make the decision.

good luck, stay warm

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron at wilson dot org

I remember having 10,000 feet of fiber sitting in the warehouse for an airplane hangar to airplane hanger project that involved all manholes and runways.....

It sat from May until November, the day of the first snowfall, the customer called with the go ahead.

You're not alone.

Thsnks for the feedback.

I finally received the specs from the PM & the Corning Altos F-8 which will be used for this project has the following characteristics

Installation Temperature -22F to +158F

The tensions range from 800-1200 lbs with sags from ,50 to .75 at +73F

No Worries.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Listen, we string anything all year in Quebec, my coldest last winter was stringing and splicing fiber at -40F, -65F with wind chill,no joke.

I also climbed towers at nearly -80F with 40mph winds providing those temps on windchill. Come to Canada; everything else seems easy after doing ANYTHING up here!

The problem here is that we have to go fix equipment when it freezes solid, seals break, pressures on pressurized copper feeders drop.

Winter sucks.

Trev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back