Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcarney

Technical User
Jun 24, 2005
US
I would like to install and configure a new Nortel BCM 400 and a couple of BCM 50's. First of all, is this advisable? Secondly, is there an easy to use manual available that I could use to help me accomplish the initial configuration and installation?

"First of all, is this advisable?"

If your doing this for fun or if you have a lot of time to do trial an error and your customer doesn't mind waiting while you learn, then it's OK.

"Secondly, is there an easy to use manual available"

The manual is on the BCM under Documention, But in the Nortel World there is no such thing as an easy to understand Manual.

Thanks for the responses.

Acewarlock, this is sort of what I expected regarding the "ease of use" manuals.

Mrmarshall, through another thread, I found you have an installation manual for download. It does look a little difficult. Is there a similar manual for the BCM 50? Is that a little easier to install? My client likes the Nortel BCM and I have a really good quote. The problem is, they have 2 very small out of state offices and the quote to install the remote BCM 50's (through a Nortel partner) is $2400 PER SITE. This puts the total cost way above budget. My thought is, I might be able to bring the cost down by doing some of it myself.

The BCM 50 is very similar to the BCM 200. There is a difference because you use software to configure the system called element manager. The BCM 50 is similar but you have less menus to go through.

Marshall

I think you are going to be using this forum quite a lot. The one thing you need to understand, theres the real world, a telco world & then theres a nortel world. GOOD LUCK

also you may want to check into the system capacity of teh boxes. User wise, the 50 is 20-30 users, tops..

BCM 4.0 will also use element manager and be Linux based. I had heard that it was to be released 4th quarter, but someone recently told me it would be 2nd quarter of 06. Not sure which is true. BCM 4.0 will also allow telset programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back