Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

?? installation help ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddOne

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
US
first off...i am not very experienced with file systems...so i may not be taking the right approach...

ok...i went to maxtor's website and downloaded powermax to run a test on the hard drive and it passed...so the drive itself is fine.

i did a fdisk and format of the c drive and now there
are no operation systems. the c and d are partitoned
85% and 15% respectively, but the file system for the
c is fat32 and for d it is ntfs. as i was going
through the setup i selected to have the c drive
converted to ntfs....then as installation proceeded i
received this error:

file vga.sys is corrupted.
then it restartd...so i just went through the setup process again only to receive a similar error:

file vga.sys caused an unexpected error (8192) at line
3183 in d:\expclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

if you have any suggestions i would be greatly appreciate!
thanks in advance!

Try to install again. When you install, this time leave it as FAT32. NTFS is not going to offer you significant benefit. It makes it harder to access and fix faults when your system crashes and cannot by read by a FAT/FAT32 system. I wouldn't use NTFS in my home PC if I was paid to.

If you a still getting errors, I would use fdisk to remove all partitions and start clean. You can then make the partitions again, and set up windows as usual.

"file vga.sys caused an unexpected error (8192) at line
3183 in d:\expclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c. "

I wonder if the fact that drive d: appearing in the error message is indicating that perhaps your install media (CD I assume) is bad?

What are you using to do this? That is not an XP install disk. Try using the regular windows cd. Just choose the partition you want to use and let Windows format it.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

i was using the XP pro install cd.
and i have used it many times before, so i knwo the disk is fine.
i am going to just fdisk, format, and re-partition the drives. but should i use fat32 or ntfs??
and is 85%(c) and 15%(d) practical?
use the fat32/ntfs on both partitions and then install on to which drive?

forgive my ignornace?
thanks for you support!

How big is your drive? If the 15% is at least 2gigs I would put Windows there. Since you are starting fresh, a cool thing to do is to make another small, say 500 to 750 meg partition to put the swap file into. That way it will stay unfragmented and out of the way of your other data.

Stay with fat32, I went to NTFS and now I regret it. Mainly because you can't boot with an old boot disk and see the NTFS drives. They don't show up.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

This is from one of linnys posts it may help you.

linney (TechnicalUser) Jul 5, 2003
Try these two links. If you still have problems, post back with more detailed information of any errors or problems and someone will help you further.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

Diagrams and Pictures here.

Personaly I don't find much difference between FAT or ntfs
pick one and use it for everything on your disk.

As far as the partition size split it into three.
C/ operating system D/ whatever you want E/ use for back ups. You don't say how big the hard drive is??

Good luck

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back