Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation : After initial installation boot problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutta

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am installing solaris 8 intel platform.

The hardware i have got is a 2940uw scsi card, with an IBM 4GB hard disk. With a pentuim 3 processor.

The configuration goes fine, reboots from the hard disk, the software is installed without any errors.

When it reboots, on completeing the 2 software cd's. The machine hangs on the option screen. where u choose boot with options, or enter boot interpreter.

I have installed this to temp laptop that i had, that was all ide, and worked a treat.

Whats going wrong, scsi related. i think. please advise.

i have been pullin my hair out for the last er, 5 hours.. trying different things.

help

NUT :(

cheers

Nutta the NUT

nutta -

Does it display any error messages (e.g. SCSI related), or does it just freeze?

Who is the manufacturer of your system? What BIOS is on the system, and what version is it?

Biker
Systems/Network Administrator
LiveFire Labs - Online UNIX and Linux Training with
Hands-on Lab Exercises

It just freezes.

The bios is Award modular BIOS ver 4.51PG
BIOS was released 24/08/1999.

I'll find out what the motherboard is and find if there is a latest BIOS for it.

I have tried these things:
Disable IDE
Disabled PM
Disabled APM
Disabled the serial ports and parallel ports

what has confused me is, why it boots the first time, and not the second time.

Thanks Biker. cheers

Nutta the NUT

I've seen this before with the 2940, but I seem to recall some error messages being displayed.

Did you cold boot after it hangs the first time? Do you get the exact same results?

Is this an HP system?

Biker
Systems/Network Administrator
LiveFire Labs - Online UNIX and Linux Training
with Hands-on Lab Exercises

nothing at all, just freezes. i have installed the latest bios patch, that was available for the board still no joy. This is a clone machine.

It has a RageIIc graphics card.
SoundBlaster soundcard
Companq netintelligent network card
and the 2940uw scsi card
it also does this with the 2940u.

one thing i did notice, was the scsi cdrom light was flashing as if it was trying to access it. But i dont know what it is going to do that. The default boot is set to the Hard disk on which the software was installed.

What i'll try, after the initial boot is done. i will insert the solaris installation cd, see if it fires that up.

In the mean time, if you got any ideas would be much appreciated.

cheers

Nutta the NUT

I tried that, didnt work. It looks as if it is reinitializing the scsi card.

If thats any help. cheers

Nutta the NUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back