Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install word for new user accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
i have 2 user accounts on a computer (XP SP2 & MSoffice 2003). both have full access. when i set up everything and installed all the programs they were installed under my user account name. then when my my wife logs on, and tries to open a MS word documnet, she is always approached to install mS word. this is annoying and how can one get around it. i have put in the disk and followed the directions and it continues to do this. This is very annoying. if she clicks cancel, the screen will flicker and ms word will be working.

any idea.

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

For computers with multiple users, be sure to install Microsoft Office in the Administrator account. Each user will then be prompted for their own user name and initials as Office is opened in subsequent accounts.

I had installed it that way (i think)
does it matter if i have added additional user accounts all of which have administrator privilages. are these not all considered administrator & if a program is installed on account 1, is it not available on account 2.

There is the Administrator, then there are other users who have Administrator type priviliges. These are not the same thing.

how can i tell the difference. on my work computer that i am at right now, i set up a second account with administrator privilages, and it looks identical to my original administrator account

Do you logon with the user name "Administrator"?

no
that is not one of the options
i only have the username OTVCPU which i can not remember if i set up or if i renamed the administrator username.

on my other computer it only has one account on it and it is called OWNER.

i am not sure if i had renamed the administrator name.

is there another way to determine this

Add the Administrator to the Wecome logon screen:

Download the INF fix To use: Download the xp_admin_enable.inf file (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Locate the file you downloaded and right click on it, then select Install.

Or Download the VBS Fix To use: Download the xp_admin_enable.vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the xp_admin_enable.vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done. INF and VBS files can be viewed in Notepad.

You can also log in to Administrator from the welcome screen if you C-A-D twice. That brings up the typical Windows logon screen, and you can enter Administrator for the user name.

Of course, none of that matters if you don't know the Administrator's password.

if that is the case, then i would not have set up an administrator password from day 1. therefore, what would the default password be.

Because he lists an OWNER account, we are dealing with XP Home and not Pro. Home does not support C-A-D logons.

For Windows XP Home Edition: While you can configure Windows XP Home Edition to show Administrator account in the Welcome Screen, you cannot login as Administrator in Normal mode. Boot into Safe Mode to login as Administrator. Please see the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article:

Error Message: Unable to Log You on Because of an Account Restriction

sorry about that. here is one little issue.
the computer i am referring to is indeed XP pro. however, the computer i just ran the c/a/d on was xp home.
i am not at my computer that the problem is with and will try that on it tonight.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back