Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install WinXP on New drive - doesn't recognize old drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroka

MIS
Oct 11, 2001
IL
Hi,
This is really strange and let's see if anyone here can crack this - I'm going mad!
Had a system with XP installed. I had one hard drive, split to two partitions - C was the XP partition in NTFS, D was FAT32 with all kind of stuff (this was because C used to be Win98SE and was formatted and installed with XP.
In order to expand memory space I bought a 40 Giga HD.
I wanted to switch the two HD and make the new one the C drive with XP and everything else on it, and then combine the old C and D partitions to one partition D.

So I started the operation. For some reason the boot off the CD didn't work until I set the new HD as master WITHOUT it being formatted to either FAT32 OR NTFS... Only after hours of trying to format it (within XP and within floppy's Win98 DOS mode), I managed to boot and start the whole process after I used FDISK to delete the partitions on the new hard drive.
Why this happened is a mystery to me and if you can tell me why - I'd be happy. But this is not yet the problem I have now...
So I installed XP on the new HD, making it drive C and setting it as a master in the IDE cable, and the old drive with the two partitions as D and a slave.
The BIOS DOES recognize both HDs.
But when I get into XP, Windows Explorer does not show the old HD! I have rebooted many times - BIOS shows the new HD, XP doesn't.

I will point out that:
1. The new HD is an UDMA 100 but at the moment I use a regular 20-wire IDE cable as I haven't gotten the 40-wire IDE cable essential for the UDMA to work.
2. The slave HD has NTFS in the first partition and FAT32 in its second partition.
3. As far as I can see, there are no other anomalies that should screw this up - i.e. enough RAM, the XP is the standard corporate version of the XP Professional, the old drive seems to work fine if I remove the new HD and make the old one master and set it's first partition to being the active partition.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure XP shows the old drive in Windows Explorer?!

This is easy, Windows98 has to be on the c:\ (first) partion and XP on the susequent partion.

A better way of doing this would be to have each OS on a separate drive with 98 as primary.

I think you may have misunderstood me.
I wish to have XP on C alone, and make the other HD - that USED to have Win98 and then XP on it D.
How do you force XP to recognize the old HD?
Someone told me that the XP still assigns that old HD the C letter so you get the conflict between them, hence it doesn't show the old XP drive.

So no Win98 is relevant anymore as it has non-working XP OS on it. Not working is the sense that the C drive has the active partition and the OS. D just has the files that were left from the old HD.

Help is still needed - anyone?...

C was the XP partition in NTFS
so is that mean u formated c: as ntfs?
if so, if you start winxp as NTFS, i think that then you won't be able to
see fat32 of the other driver at all.

WinXP works with both NTFS and FAT32 just fine, except that it doesn't work with greater than FAT32 and 32GB partitions. The way I did mine, had only the 30GB Master C: drive, installed WinXP Pro, FAT32. When WinXP was up and running, attached 2nd 30GB drive [had Win98 on it, also FAT32, can't/didn't want to dual-boot], drive letters are C: and D:. Have Zip drive at E: and thinking ahead about possible partitions, put CD-RW on H:. Plugging in the 2nd drive has caused no problems with WinXP, little problem with heat but overcame that.

Try this -
Disconnect the new drive
set old drive to primary master with the jumper
boot with your win98 floppy
type fdisk /mbr
shutdown and reconfigure the old drive to primary slave or secondary master and your CD Drive to secondary slave and your new drive as "master with slave present" (2 jumpers) or secondary drive "master with slave present" (2 jumpers)
boot and check the bios recognises all the drives
boot into winxp

Well, the troubles are over. And I'm afraid I cannot really tell why. After all it was the recognition of the old drive that was a problem.
So one day I went into the Disk Management section and there it was - it was marked as "unrecognized drive" and needed formatting, but once I did (right click) it then became visible. No idea why it was "fixed" all of a sudden.
Thank you all for your help! I really apptreciate people helping others for no apparent reason but altroism.
Eroka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back