Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install windows to cd for main drive setup and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudman

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
US
I have 4 teenagers that all fight over the main computer(pent2 w/ win98). So I bought 2 more cheap 486's and put cd's in them. One already had windows 95b installed on it, it's slow but gets the homework done! The second has too small of a hard drive, has win 3.1 on it. Can I get microsoft Word 95 on it using win 3.1 as operating system. If not, then can I install windows 95 onto a cd using a r/w cd rom and then use it as the master drive to boot and run win 95 and office 95 and just use the hard drive for doc storage. Could any one help... It would make a desperate Dad able to sleep at nights!!!
Thanks
knk

sorry but i dont think win will run from the cd. it need to be correctly istalled onto the hard drive.

i dont know if word95 will work on a win3.1 sys. why dont you try it?
bear in mind that all m/s products hog a huge amount of HDD space. so if the 2nd HDD is small the issue might be installing win95 or word95 rather than will it run.

sorry i cant be of any more help but i have not been in this particular position myself.

good luck

Used 540mb to 1 gb hard disks are available at super low prices. Why not upgrade HD and put W95 on it? Also consider networking systems while you are thinking of upgrading.
Alternative is to get a 95 upgrade version and put a minimal system on it to handle the word95. Probably go on to 200 mb or smaller. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks guys, Thought I would try... save money! Just how much space does win 95a take up install on compact mode? I could format harddrive and install 95a on my 170 mb hd if it will fit and then install word 7.0 if they will fit!?! Also, I have 3 network cards that I could install in each of my three computers. could I run off of my win 98 pent. 2 machine with the other two hooked up??? I could try that but have little experience with networking on windows! Did alot with dos networking. any advice would be helpful and apprieciated. Thanks in advance!
knk

You could turn them into diskless workstations and use terminal server, but you're talking serious cash to buy the software.

You're better off picking up a couple of 1-gig drives on ebay or at a used computer shop.

You won't fit 95a and Word 7 on a 170 mb HD.

I can understand and apprecaite the need for money savings - so make the teens go use the computer at the library. Those are free :)

Use peer to peer networking w. Win 95 on lowest cpu's.
Map drives to MS Word directory.
Put MS Word Icon on Desktop via mapped drives.
Each user can use MS Word, no problem.
Be sure to share appro. directories & printers.

Alternate Method:

Have lower cpu PC's - use MS Works which is file compatible with Word 95. In fact, Wordpad is upward file compatible also.

95a somewhere about 60 mb with default setup. Lots of stuff that can be left out from that.
I'd try to put word on from there to see if it will go. Think it takes 27 mb as install requirements then 25 or so as the application requirements. Gives the 27 back. But this is from memory so don't hold me to it. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back