Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Win98 on notebook, CD-ROM driver prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehoot

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
I need you help!

I need to install Win98 on Dell notebook. It currently has no OS and a Safeboot program. This program is fine, except it gives me the option of either booting to OS (can't change) or Floppy. It has interchangable floppy and cd-rom drive in one bay. I have a problem when I use my Win98 Startup floppy it will not load the CD-ROM drivers as the CD-ROM drive is not inserted (because of the floppy dive!) Therefore, no drive has been created for the CD-ROM when I change the drive it later. Therefore, can't install Win98.

Can anyone please offer any help, advice......

:-9

I don't do laptops, because they are very esoteric - and take too much time to set up to be profitable - (like spending lots of time on learning how to do it, over and over on each different laptop), but............

> try this, as it's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head: ( you discovered the CATCH-22, so I am suggesting only what I would try, and that is to eliminate the floppy drive from the Windows install procedure)

> In BIOS, enable the CD-ROM as the first BOOT device.

If you do not know what I mean by that,,,,, then you should hire a pro to do the install. No offense intended, of course, but it's just not practical to give hardware 101 lessons in a forum such as this.... ( It would take too long).

Also: Every Laptop model is different, and if you don't have the EXACT OS-install CD that came with that Laptop then your in for a rough ride. Period.

GL

Problem solved!

Unfortunately I was not able to boot to cd-rom, so instead created custom autoexec and config.sys files to load cd-rom drivers when booting to c: (with cd-rom in drive bay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back