Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install win2k server on a xp machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

QTip

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
BE
Hellow,

I want to install windows 2000 server on a computer where windows xp is installed, on another partition that is. I want this for a test environment.
But when I try to install the 2000 server, I get the message that install options are disabled because there is an newer version of windows (xp) on my computer.

Can somebody tell me if and how it's possible to go around this problem? windows xp is on my primary disk.

no reactions? Does this mean that this is not possible? Do I need to install windows 2000 server first?

Where are you trying install 2K server - into a seperate partition? In that case, just boot from the 2K server disk and install a fresh copy.

Yes you can install W2k Server to XP machine (dual boot), ignore the error message.
Before install, Copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from windows XP because after install W2k you won't be able to boot XP, run FIXBOOT.exe or restore NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM solve the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back