Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Win2K over XP Home Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

horqua

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
US
I have a machine with XP Home Edition and after using it for three months I've decided I just don't like XP. What advice can you offer RE: installing 2000 over an existing XP drive. I've considered a dual boot but decided it's not worth the drive space because I don't like XP and wouldn't use it even if it was available via dual boot. I'd liked to solicit your advice on flattening/formatting the HD. I'm using OE as mail prgrm. What files should I back-up? Your advice is appreciated (but snide comments are not).
[peace]

Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. Seek and ye shall find!

To downgrade from Windows XP to Windows 2000...

Insert your W2K CD > browse the cd > look for a folder called makeboot.

In that folder you will have a makeboot.exe file. Run that program to create W2K boot disks. (if u don't already have W2K boot disks)

Then, once u have created the W2K boot disks, boot from the first floppy and follow the instructions...This should start the installion of W2K.

During setup, you will have the option to format the drive...This will remove the Windows XP.

Hope this helps,
Kev

You don't need boot disks - win2k CD is bootable (just make sure bios set to boot from CD first).

When it gets to partitioning bit, I'd remove XP partition and create a new one.

For backup - defintely your profile folder - after removing temp & temporary internet files (OE stuff is here, unless you've specified another location, and My documents of course) & then anything else you can't reinstall from setup disks that you want to keep (eg, stuff you created, music, pictures, videos etc).

Yep, as Wolluf rightly said, W2K CD is bootable...if u can't boot from CD, then u can change your BIOS settings and set it to boot from CD first.

Kev

I Have had to back up OE stuff before I just made a folder in OE then I search for the folder that I created, then when you find the folder then look in the directory were the folder is, then copy it (To a location not on the hard disk). This is what I did and it worked perfected so it should work for you. And for your address book I don’t remember but I think some were around the same location of your OE files. Or you can select the ones you want to keep and drag them to a folder (From OE to a folder on the desktop). This is what I would do and have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back