Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install VFP 6.0 SP 5 on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgbean

Programmer
Nov 9, 2000
US
Because I have to occasional support a VFP 6.0 SP5 app, I thought I'd try installing this on my new Vista machine at home. While the VFP 6.0 install went fine, the SP5 update fails because it requires MDAC 2.5 (or higher). While I get no error on the install of 2.5 MDAC (or 2.6), apparently what needs to happen to make the VS SP5 happy isn't being completed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rick

P.S. Right now I can dual boot the system back to XP Pro, but this becomes more onerous as I spend more time in Vista.

WAG - Are you logged into the machine as ADMIN for the service pack?

David W. Grewe Dave

Hi Dave,
Yup I tried that. In fact I tried running them in XP SP2 compatibility mode too, but still no errors and no success.

Since SP5 has the all the files expanded (at least for VFP), I'm considering just copying them over thier base counterparts, and hope that there aren't any critical registry updates. I'm guessing that the MDAC stuff isn't necessary for the VFP update anyway.

Rick

rgbean,

Ran into the same problem. When I tried to install the MDAC 2.5 in Vista it said it was already installed. We have been able to install SP1 for Visual 7.0 in Vista without problem.

Will be curious to hear if just copying the base components from SP5 works.

John

Thanks John for the confirmation (although I never got any messages!). I had no problems with 8.0 and 9.0 either - just 6.0 SP5!

Rick

Sorry it took a while to get back to this, but after copying all the pieces over top of their counterparts in all the appropriate directories, everything seems to work just fine!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back