Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install SP4 on workstations through logon script or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntunB

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
AU
how would i b able to push out win2k SP4 to all workstations?

they do not have local admin rights

so is there a way to do this?

mayb a logon script or something?

ok i was reading a bit

and you can install it with group policies

BUT for some reason its not wrkin 4 me :-(

i set it up, create a new organisational unit, put the computer in that OU

then create a group policy, set up installation package for the computer and select the update.msi for SP4

and it looks good

however wen i restart its not taking affect the GPO

i run gpresult.exe and it shows the correct OU i am in, but does not display any software packages to install

any ideas

ok i also ran GPResult.exe and i found the GPO

DC: SERVER1
Friendly name: SP Update
Created: 1/03/2004 1:20:29 AM
Changed: 1/03/2004 3:16:05 AM
DS version: 0(user) 9(machine)
Sysvol version: not found
Flags: 1
User extensions: not found
Machine extensions: [{827D319E-6EAC-11D2-A4EA-00C04F79F83A}{803E14A0-B4FB-11D0-A
0D0-00A0C90F574B}][{C6DC5466-785A-11D2-84D0-00C04FB169F7}{942A8E4F-A261-11D1-A76
0-00C04FB9603F}]
Functionality version: 2

so its there, just not taking affect on the machines

has anyone got any ideas?

i use sus to deploy updates and service packs -
so far it has worked just fine -

we cant use sus, need a server, need money

so next best thing is group policies

thanks for yor help but :)

I can vouch for the fact that deployment through group policy does work, I've done all our PCs, worked OK.

Are you able to deploy other software using this method, i.e. is it just SP4 that's causing problems? Are you assigning it to the PCs, or publishing it? Can you run the Update.msi manually from the server location OK?

Have you used an absolute path when deploying the package in the GPO rather than a UNC path? eg. D:\Patches\update.msi is wrong, whereas \\SERVERNAME\Patches\update.msi is correct, assuming "Patches" is a shared folder of course :)

Hi There AntunB,

there r a few key points to know about here, as mentioned both methods work, however the advised method is using software deployment in group policy, this way you have several methods of selecting who actually recieves the policy.

1. In GPO software deployment ensure you ASSIGN the package under the COMPUTER configuration section.

2. Ensure you use UNC paths i.e. \\servername\sharename and not drive letters as drives are not normally mapped until u hit a logon script.

3. Ensure the COMPUTER account has permissions to access the share (a common mistake).

hope this helps, it's a pretty basic operation but one that easily confuses due to the amount of background security settings.

Cheers

ok i fixed it now

thansk alot for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back