Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install scsi tape drive lost boot disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalmanp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2003
US
I have a sco box with an installed scsi adaptec card that is connected to the hard drive. I tried to install an external tape drive and connect ot to the outside connector on the scsi card. When I try to boot up after connecting the system give a message "Can't find boot device". I do see that the hard drive is recognized at boot time but for some reason it doesn't find it when it needds to boot SCO. After disconnecting the external cable from the scsi card it boots fine again. Any ideas? All help would be appreciated.

Is the tape drive also seen on the POST section of the SCSI adapter? Make sure you don't have a SCSI-ID conflict, and that the external tape includes a terminator. Most modern SCSI controllers will automatically adjust their termination, but you should review that with the documentation. If this doesn't help, please include the SCSI adatper make/model and more information on the number of disks, SCSI ID's, etc.

If you have an adapter that allows modifications to the operating parameters (splash screen for [CTRL-A] access) you may be able to get there to do a bus scan for attached devices.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks moto, believe it or not - both were a problem. I had to reset the SCSI id and it was missing a terminator. It works fine now. Really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back