Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install raid drivers after OS install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance59

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2007
US
I have added a couple of SATA drives and now I need to install the raid drivers that would normally be installed when the OS is installed by using the F6 feature. I have a floppy and the drivers on a 3.5, I just can't figure out how to install them with out reinstalling the OS again.

Any ideas?

TIA

I am not following you. Do you already have the server built and are adding a new SATA based array? In that case add the drivers through device manager

Yes the server is built and I am adding the drives after the fact. Win2003 does not see the SATA drives because the drivers were not added during the OS install. So how to install the drivers without reinstalling the OS?

TIA

Hi lance59,

Have you checked the machine's BIOS settings for the new SATA drives?

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Yes they show up in the BIOS. But Windows 2003 does not recognize SATA out of the box and you have to install the drivers during the OS install.

I need to see if there is a way to install them after the OS has been installed.

TIA

It might seem like a silly step but have you checked in Disk Management to initialize, partition & format the new drive?

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Yes, not there. Windows does not install any drivers for SATA drives on install.

look at your device manager, it probably has an unrecognized hardware device, its probably your sata controller. install the sata controller drivers then go into disk management and setup your drives. shouldnt be that hard if the sata controller has 2k3 drivers.
kind of like itsp1965 said to begin with.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back