Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
I am trying to install Windows 2k on an older computer (P233 with 96 MB RAM) and am having problems. I have to use an external IDE controller for the 120 GB hard drive. On the install, I press F6 to install the driver for the IDE controller. When it prompts for the driver, Windows finds it okay, and continues on formating the hard drive and copying the files to the hard drive. When it comes to copying the drivers for the IDE controller, Windows all of the sudden can't find them.

Any ideas? I am thinking of seeing where the drivers are located, if they aren't on the root of the floppy drive to move them there.

I have tried to boot up Knoppix and copy the files over manually, but Knoppix won't boot up. Any other ideas? This is driving me nuts!

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator

Will the install continue if you just cancel the attempts to copy the controller driver files? (does it actually prompt you to provide a location?).

If it will continue, you may be ok as it must have copied & used them initially, as it found the drive and copied other files to it.

After the initial file copy and reboots, it blue-screens on startup. So I really can't get past this point. I am still in the blue screen section of the setup. Sorry forgot to mention that.

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator

Sounds like a hardware problem then - what was machine running previously? (was it ok)? Have you a small drive which will run on the mobo's IDE connector to see if 2k install will run with this config? (as I'm presuming the IDE controller/120GB drive is new to machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back