Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjd

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
US
For some reason the file vmm32.vxd file somehow disappeared. I tried reinstalling windows 98 and it did not allow me to do so. It said cannot install duplicate version of Windows 98 so I stopped trying. I then tried installing Windows ME and now I get a Generic install error stating: "Message SU99404
UpdateCfgSys= or UpdateAutoBat= Processing Error.
(0x194)"

I had bought another harddrive thinking this was the cause and cloned the old to the new and I still get the same error.

What can I do to get a copy of Windows 98/ME to install?

In addition, I had formatted one of the drives and the OS installed just fine. It seems to be a software issue rather than a hardware issue. Are there any files I can delete to get Windows 98/ME to install? Also, I dont want the registry to get tampered with by doing so because I have programs that are reliant on the registry.

Some versions require win.com to be deleted. Some require the registry to be deleted. Some require the desktop to be deleted. There may be other combinations, these are just the ones I've found.

You could probably extract the file, but if I recall, the existing file on your machine was a combination of the original from the CD plus some other stuff that was added during install. So an extract will not be enough.

Try looking for further info via google search on file name.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I finally got windows me installed successfully. Although, now I am experiencing one other problem. After it completes the install, it says "restarting in 15 seconds". After it restarts it goes through the ME loading screen and then gets to a black screen for a split second and then shuts off all power to the computer. It did it after the windows 98 install and now with me. What could be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back