Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

int

Technical User
Jan 18, 2001
DE
hi, i need help to install oracle 8.1 to my solaris intell box. i dont now how i begin. any help will be helpfull. thanksss

did you get the manual with the software? (or is this the one provided by Sun?)

no i dont have any manual book with me. as i try to install it it told me that i have no permession on it although i am login as root. thanks

you need to create / use an oracle user ... not root, and they have to be in the 'dba' group ...

i installed 8.0.5 as the user oracle ... but since we bought the product i have the hardcopy of the books ...

there should be something on the cd that tells you how to do it in html format, else there is an Oracle forum on here ... 'Oracle: Oracle 8'

there are all sorts of system parameters that you might need to set up to start the installation, groups to produce, users to create, directories to create, oratab files etc ...

if you want i can tell you how it was done in 8.0.5 (if i type for a while) but it should be on the CD.

thanks alot jad,
i will try it.

int,

Your best bet when installing Oracle is to know your initSID.ora parameters. You should knowwhere your ORACLE $HOME, control files, log files etc....are going to be located. If you are migrating/upgrading the migration utility command is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back