Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Office? Virus? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokerij

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
All of sudden our small network has received some strange errors. We are constantly being asked with dialog boxes to insert our Microsoft Office disk, that the feature we are trying to use is not installed. Well the thing is, we are not doing anything new, the same things we do every day. Is there anything as far as a virus is concerned, that I should be aware of?

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

Sounds to me that something has thrashed your configuration. Install any new MS files/programs/updates?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
[/sup]

Yes, I ran Windows updates on the majority of the clients in the network, but have not been able to update everyone. Most of the time when the dialog box occurs, you can simply hit 'Cancel' and that is the end of it, other times not so, I reboot is in order. Ideas?

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

This can also happen when you use a feature that you have not installed (like another language spelling dictionary, etc). You probably did not do a full install, and so when office detects it needs this new functionality, it tries to install it from the source.

I usually create a network share, and install office from there. If Office ever needs to update the software, it will do it automatically.

I don't think this sounds like a virus.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back