Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install new trunk module for IP Office 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1121

MIS
Dec 12, 2002
US
I normally deal with larger Communication Manager systems, so pardon my basic question about this task. I just want to be sure I've got the process down before I attempt to do this.

One of our offices has an IP Office 500 with two other expansion modules. I will be adding a 16 port analog trunk module. I've been reading about this and so far this is my plan. Please tell me if anything is wrong or if I'm missing something....

Steps I plan on taking to install the new (actually, refurbished) 16 port analog trunk module:
1. Log into the PC that has the IP Office Manager software and save the current configuration.
2. Power down the control unit and the other two expansion modules.
3. Connect the new expansion module to expansion port 3 (1 & 2 already used) on the IP office 500 control unit using the Avaya blue or yellow expansion cable (which as I understand it is nothing more than a shielded CAT5e twisted pair cable, straight, not crossed or wired strange).
4. Power up the 3 expansion modules and wait 10 to 20 seconds and then power up the control unit.

At this point, once the system is booted, I assume the control unit will now see the new expansion module and I can do my programming for the new trunks.

I was curious though about one thing. I watched a video on metroline direct's web site where they showed updating the firmware on the expansion module so it matches the firmware/software that's on the main control unit. Is that something I need to do? Also, if that's the case, is the necessary file already on the PC that manages IP Office and it's just a matter of going through a few clicks to do this and I won't need to worry about going to Avaya's support site to download anything?

You will only need to power down the control unit only, then connect the expansion cabinet to the main control unit using the provided cat5 SHIELDED cable that comes with the expansion unit. Do not use any other cable for the expansion unit other than the one provided.

Next, power up the expansion cabinet so that you now have 3-expansion cabinets powered up.
Then you will power up the control unit and the control unit will look for the expansion cabinets during its boot up process and sunc with them.
After everything is powered up and online, you will need to upgrade the firmware on the new expansion unit using the Avaya MANAGER software.
Open Avaya MANAGER and navigate to FILE, ADVANCED, UPGRADE. The firmware of the newly added expansion cabinet MUST be the same version as the other expansion cabinets. Prior to the upgrade, only select the expansion cabinet to be upgraded.

Well, they didn't send the cable with the unit we bought, so I assume buying a good quality shielded CAT6 patch cord would be acceptable? If the cable Avaya usually provides is simply a shielded CAT5e straight through ethernet patch cord, what would be the harm in using a 3 or 7 feet shielded patch cord bought from another supplier like Graybar for example? Has anyone ever had any trouble using a shielded patch cord bought elsewhere (not Avaya provided)? If I had to, I can acquire one from our Avaya BP, but it's quicker if I get one elsewhere. I need to install this tomorrow...

Make sure the CAT 6 shielded cable does not exceed 1 meter then it is OK.

I looked at the rack (photo my contact sent) and I see a place where I can put it to be within 3ft reach of the control unit.

I ordered a CAT7 Double Shielded 10 Gigabit 600MHz Ethernet Cable for this (3 feet).

as a total aside I would personally connect the truck module to port 8 on the IPO, just to keep things neat in the config & avoid mixing trunk module & extn modules as the system expands.

there is absolutely no technical reason why doing it this way is any more correct than the way you are planning.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks. I think this would be the last time this system will expand. In the future, it will likely be replaced by Cisco products (that's the direction we're heading....but we're not in a position to swap this one out yet for many reasons).

Thanks. I think this would be the last time this system will expand. In the future, it will likely be replaced by Cisco products
Why the plan to downgrade? ;-)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Management decision ;-) If I had my preference, I would install a G430 there with S8300 as LSP. Very easy to do (I've installed plenty and do all the administration on the main server) and very reliable and flexible even if the WAN is down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back