Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install New server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreAraujo

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
PT
Hello everyone,

I have 4 Servers with NT, recently my PDC failed and was replaced by a new machine with Win 2000 server.
The BDC was promoted to PDC and the new server was instaled as a stand-alone.
Now i need to promote this Win 2000 server to DC, i have to install Active Directory using DCpromo, so far so good.

How should i do that?, i don´t whant to lose any users accounts, and others information,

Thanks in advance.

That's the beauty of dcpromo. It migrates your nt user accounts to w2k users and computers. All you should need to do is
1)Do a good backup.
2)Upgrade the nt box to w2k.
3)Run dcpromo to upgrade the w2k server from a stand alone to a domane controller.
4)Run dcpromo on the w2k machine that's not an upgrade to make it a dc also.
5)Sync the machines and you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"To fear the worst oft cures the worse."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616); English dramatist, poet.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Hi everyone,

My problem is that this new machine doesn't work with NT so i cant install and DCpromo the machine, is possible to sincronize or import the accounts information from the BDC with NT to this new Machine with 2000?

André

The first thing you have to do is upgrade your NT PDC to 2000, then dcpromo it as already suggested. Your new machine can be installed with 2000 and also dcpromo'd so that it joins the existing domain, tree & forest that you created on upgrading the NT PDC. Once the new machine is a DC, it will replicate with the existing DC. You need, however, to make your new domain a native 2000 domain by upgrading all other NT servers to 2000 and converting the domain from mixed to native mode. Once that is done, all DCs will replicate happily.

sluice is correct. Remember my earlier post.
2)Upgrade the nt box to w2k.
NT won't replicate with W2K.

Glen A. Johnson
"To fear the worst oft cures the worse."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616); English dramatist, poet.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back