Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Linux from Windows GRLDR compressed/missing error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejanorey

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
Issues with the GRLDR either being compressed error or missing error or both. I'm not sure what is GRLDR and know that it must be an issue with how my computer might be setup that is not allowing either of this installation program to work. The automated Linux install from Windows programs is

I downloaded the program and then began the installation. It prompted me to reboot my computer to continue the installation process.. when I rebooted my computer was already partitioned (by the program mentioned above) to load UBUNTU, I select UBUNTU and then get errors.. it seems to go down a list..and when it gets to HD 0 it says GRLDR is compressed..then it goes to HD 1 then HD 2 and so on till it gets back to HD 0 and on the second time it says HD 0 GRLDR is missing.

I don't know what is GRLDR exactly or how to fix it. I want to make this installation work. I sincerely appreciate the help guys!..you guys rock!

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Grub Loader? You might want to try just starting over. It's possible the file you downloaded got corrupted. I don't use Ubuntu, but it's good to make sure you're getting the latest version of any downloads.

You might want start at the source and go from there:

Cheers,

Dave

I did..i downloaded it few times and attempted the installed a few times. I'm not trying out the manual installation process. The server must have high traffic because i'm downloading at 5kbs tops.

But will gladly go back to the automated installation if you guys can help me with that.

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

You may also want to check the MD5 hash of the ISO after you download it. If the download is corrupted, the MD5 will catch it.

You should be able to just start from the CD/DVD on boot up. I've done the Ubuntu install numerous times and never seen that error. Or with other versions of Linux that use GRUB either.

pansophic

pansophic,

the new method is to have it automatic all along with the partition automatically for windows xp to have ubuntu on it. As you said..i did check..and sure enough.. when I tried the manual install..it did me no good because the iso proviced is corrupted..tried downloading it twice..must be from their end.. Its still in beta form...

Tejanorey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back