Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install learn Aloha 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikx

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2010
US
I have a new position and I am going to have to take over some aloha locations. I have years of tech experience mcse etc and have worked and installed several other types of POS systems but I now need to do Aloha and want to support without 3rd party vendor. If I could ask you experts out there for direction. Basic install info would be great start. Say if I have basic server and say 2 pc's how to configure. I assume start off by creating wrk group and standard naming then what (install directory)? etc... If anyone out there would be kind enough to help a newbie.. :)
Also, if anyone has or knows of docs manuals tek sheets for installing basic file structure ..just anything to learn more, it would be so appreciated.

What you are asking cannot be answered in a few messages.

If you are going to maintain Aloha sites, then you should have access to this information already. If not, there are classes at Radiant's offices for a fee.

MegabyteCoffee.com

Yes forgive me I know there is a lot of info in the response but looking for a start. I dont have any cd's or docs. its a small business that had aloha and we are taking it over... so I am looking for basics till I can get some of that training :)

Thanks for the response... If you do have any other info manuals etc...I would love to see it. Thanks again

Michael

if you are taking over a site, then there should always be manuals on the hard drive.

Tried that first not seeing any :( ... Also called Radient about training they said dont train. Nice...Back to squre one then...anyone want to make some money and tutor mr for an hour or 2 :)
Otherwise looks like copy it all into test pcs and beat the *&ll out of it to learn ..

M

Radiant does have training classes. I send my new helpdesk employees there to cut down on my training time.

If you look well enough, there are lots of places on the internet you can find docs. Classes from Radiant or an expert would be the best. A lot to try and figure out on your own, even with the manuals.

Curious, how do you take on supporting Aloha sites with zero knowledge?

MegabyteCoffee.com

I didn't originally catch you said you are taking over a business that has the aloha sites. You are just going to have to contact your local reseller for the sites and deal with them.

MegabyteCoffee.com

There is a wealth of great information on this site but you have to hunt and pick for the information. As far as a whole system install, server install etc. you will need an install disk. What version Aloha and Table service or Quick Service.

There is a laundry list of settings to the equipment that needs to be done to ready it for an Aloha install, way to much to explaine here.

I do appreciate your help guys. I have worked with several other pos systems and proprty management systems that have POS intigrated with them. I also am an MCSE and I have installed different systems and configured them but Aloha is a newer one for me. With most they have some basic similarities and run off unc or map drive etc. Using msde or proporiatry etc... hardware is a simple given ... the wrk grp and pc names are usally static and the parameters then set/configured in software and in variables etc..what I am really trying to get is just the basic install - what to run and from where. I assume data directory is what would be copied over for new server - assuming I had install I would run it and then replace data directory from old server but looking to be sure of any other tweaks etc that may need done..I know the INI file is in data and may need some tweaks too but I was assuming that I could do the install keep all names/wrk grp/ ips etc same and jst copy old data in but not sure and the term grind is new to me ??

i have migrated other servers with other systems this way before but didnt want to assume same with Aloha, so thought I'd check with you experts :)

Mikx

Nope, sorry it's not that easy.

I will post some information later about Server and terminal setup.

What would be helpful is the Aloha version TS or QS and op-system on your server and terminals.

I just created a new FAQ - check the top button above this thread - it said it wouldn't be posted for a while?

so... here is is in a post. Most of these settings I didn;t go into detail how to access them but any MCSE would know.

Most of this is Aloha default setup.

NETWORK SETUP

workgroup = ibertech

servername = alohaboh

Static IP Scheme

NetBIOS must be enabled over TCP/IP

Set Lananumber to 0 of the aloha network adapter using lanacfg

TCP/IP media sense
Disable Media Sense in the Windows Registry

1. Run REGEDIT

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.

3. Verify the DisableDHCPMediaSense value exists in the folder. If it does, double-click it and change Value Data to '1'. If it does not exist, choose Edit/New/DWORD Value and name the key ' DisableDHCPMediaSense '. Then double-click the entry and change Value Data to '1'.

File Sharing

Turn off simple file sharing.

A network share labeled BOOTDRV that enables read and write capabilities to the Aloha application software file server and FOH terminals. This share needs to be applied to the root folder or drive in which the Aloha folder resides.

Create an aloha user with the same password as the terminals.
Create an aloha folder on the server - copy the data and newdata folders to aloha and use the install disk to install aloha on the server - browse to install disk and run advanced.exe

You may need to adjust the login account used by CTLSVR.EXE (Control Server) and EDCSVR.EXE (EDC Server) on the file server to ensure proper operation with terminals running Windows XP. They should be the same login ans the terminals to function.

Setting up a terminal is pretty much the same other than the servername = term1 or term2 etc.

There should be a termminal setup program on al of the existing terminals, copy it over and run it.

Has anyone ever told you you are a god send... You really know your stuff... You have my vote any day :).... I owe you one ...anytime :) This is a great info ... I'm off to see what happens... Thanks again and will talk again...

i have access to the radiant knowledge guides, from the website if that does not help you. but im not sure if i feel comfortable handing my user-name and pw out.

I understand the concern, I would never want to bother any of you, I just appreciate each and all of your time and expertise. Thank you for any help and I look forward to keeping up with you all and be of help when I can. I only want to learn from you all and contribute where I can. I welcome any info where you fell cofortable. :)

M

Yes, this day is starting off great :) thank you very much. I'mm going to start in on these right away and let you know how it goes... Really thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back