Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install knoppix 6.2 to HD using custom partiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ady2007

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2007
ID
I had tried to install knoppix 6.2 to custom partiton on my hard drive.
But I failed to do it after I had done GParted from knoppix 6.2 live cd.
Any suggestion to knoppix 6.2 to custom partition successfully ?

Would you please elaborate on what you did and what result or error you received? Custom partition suggests that you tried to create your own partitions, which is do-able and can achieve better results than the default.

In GParted, I assume you first either removed or shrunk any Windows partition if you are dual booting. So beginning there.

You need to create a few partitions for Linux, at least two of them, one of which is a swap space. It should be about 2x - 3x the amount of RAM you have in the PC. Normally I put this at the end of the drive. You can create the partition and then set the type to Linux Swap.

Next you need to create the other partition / partitions that you want. I typically create a boot partition, which holds the Linux-images. I make it about 512Mb - 1Gb depending on my mood. Like with the swap space, choose the file system type, probably Ext-3 or Ext-4. Then you select the 'mount point' which would be /boot. I then create a separate root '/' partition the same way. Typically I give this about 40%-50% of the remaining space. Select the file system and mount point. Lastly I allocate the rest of the space to /home the same way.

If you are planning on running a server that has a lot of data in /var, you may or may not want to make that a partition. It really doesn't matter since the file system is flat anyway.

I think the big one is the separate home and root partitions that allow you to put updated, or other Linux distros on while keeping all your data.

Noway2 said:
It should be about 2x - 3x the amount of RAM you have in the PC.

In my opinion that's far too much for Linux. I'd recommend about a quarter of the amount of RAM in your PC. If you manage to fill that up, your system is struggling and you need more RAM anyway.

Linux is not like some other flavours of Unix where the entire memory image maps to swap space, where you ideally need more swap space than the size of your memory.

Annihilannic.

Yes, I used dual boot windows and Zenwalk XFCE
But I want to install knoppix 6.2 on my hard drive and overwrite existing partition for Zenwalk also kept my windows partition.
After quit from gparted, still asked a same question install entire disk or gparted again.
FYI..I can install knoppix 6.2 on my usb flash drive 4GB with swap 300 MB

@Annihilannic, good point. The suggestion came from what I read somewhere and that is what I have always done. I have noticed that on my own systems, the memory utilization is typically between 30% and 60%, including a server installation with many active processes running continuously. Perhaps the suggestion was dated to back when having 512MB of RAM was a huge amount.

Ady2007, you should be able to use gparted to delete the Zenwalk partition. Tell it to delete it and then commit the changes to the disk. That will create free space. You should then be able to install into the existing free space. If this option is not available, then you can manually create the partitions and install to it. Like I said, you will need at least two partitions, one of which is your swap space.

I think you didn't try to install knoppix 6.2 on custom partition. And you are just simply answer it. Don't answer it if you didn't know about it.
Thanks for your reply.

There is no point to delete zenwalk partition and create new partition.

I never said that I tried to install Knoppix on to a system, it is primarily designed to be run from CD. I have, however, installed multiple Linux distributiosn on several sytems using custom partitions every time.

I have also re-read your posts several times. You have provided very little information other than the fact that you have failed at what you are attempting to do what you are after. If you don't like my suggestion to delete the Zenwalk partition and create new ones to install into, you are free to ignore it and try whatever method works for you.

Noway2, very calm response! Ady2007, remember, this is a *free* technical tip site where many people give generously of their time and advice. If you were paying money for Knoppix technical support then your attitude would be justified... but in this case it is not.

Having said that, the Knoppix 0wn installer gives you the reasons why it is not proceeding with the install on the dialogue box just above where you choose auto/gparted/etc. What does it say there?

When you use an 'auto' install on an empty disk it uses a 1GB swap partition and a reiserfs partition with the 'bootable' flag set on it. So if you try and emulate that as closely as possible with the partitions available it should let you proceed with the installation by adding a '/dev/sdX' entry to the list in that dialogue.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back