Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install IIS on MSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaC

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
DE
Dear all

I'm relatively new to MSCS and would ask if someone has already installed IIS6 on a 2003 Cluster.

I've searched the MS Site, but I don't find anything about this topic(I don't like the new MS Search engine).

My question is which steps I have do, to install a fail-over virtual server of IIS. I heard that enable NLB on a Cluster would cause problems.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Greetings
Salvatore

The link is usefull and will give you the steps for having a failover solution with IIS.
NLB is a different matter, and of course do not use both methods.
When to use one or another? I would say:
- use NLB for availability and scalability. take care in the way you keep sessions (set the affinities..)
- use MSCS for availability for critical applications. be carefull that this method is not scalable.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

hi,
as Gia told you NLB and MSCS have different scopes.
However, if you have already set up MSCS, you can use this
to "failover" IIS.

Doing this by yourself yo have to:

- Install IIS on both nodes
- make IIS Manual starting ( World Wide Web Publishing Service in services)
- create 2 cluster resources: ip address + network name
- parametrize IIS to answer at this address
- create 1 cluster resource of type "Generic Service"
giving as service name W3SVC

Doing this more automatically, there is between the cluster resource type a specific IIS services:

choose the way you prefere !

bye

Thanks to all of your for your responses.

Because I have to temporarly work on another task, I can return to this only in two weeks.

If I have more questions or problems, I will return back here.

Thanks again.
Bye

Remember that MS says this about IIS and cluster :

NOTE: Although it is technically possible to set up IIS by using Clustering service, Microsoft does not recommend that you install IIS on Microsoft Cluster server. The recommended method to provide high-availability with IIS is to use Network Load Balancing.

Petje
A+, MCP, MCSE (NT4 + 2000), CCEA

Dan,

For Windows 2003, you setup a resource of type "Generic Script" that executes a vbs script to shutdown/startup the appropriate IIS services. You can find two samples in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\INETSRV titled "clusweb.vbs" and "clusftp.vbs".

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back