Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install gcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsfhaergta

Programmer
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hi,

I am trying to install gcc on my server. It is a remote web server so I can't just pop in a cd and have it run. I downloaded gcc-4.3.2 from the gcc.gnu.org website, uncompressed it and tried to configure it, but I get:

# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Am I stupid? Is this not the exact thing I am trying to install? Why would a gcc installer be looking for gcc?

Thanks,
Allen

LOL... No you are not stupid... But, this download does require that you have a pre-existing C compiler. Have you looked for a pre-compiled package? I know for solaris, you can download pre-compiled packages that install in /usr/local.

Ya, I get it...the compiler needs an ISO C90 compiler for bootstrapping. Guess it makes sense that it cant compile other stuff until it gets compiled first. Now I gotta find an ISO C90 compiler somewhere. The link you had assumed "Red Hat Linux system using rpm 4, gcc 3, and glibc 2.2.5," so that won't work for me either. Thanks, though

Most distributions have package managers that work with binary packages. You should just be able to download and install a gcc package without compiling. Then, you can use it to compile the other one if you really need to.

What distribution is your Web server running?

If it's Debian-based, try:
Code:
apt-get install gcc

If it's Red Hat-based, try replacing apt-get with yum or up2date or whatever they're using these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back