Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Exchange 5.5 on Win2k Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettamer

MIS
Mar 17, 2002
US
I tried to install Ex5.5 on Win2K member server and get the message "computer must belong to NT domain to installEchange", but I believe it is. The Win2k member server belong to NT4 domain. Has anyone encounter this before or can shed some lights on the proble. TIA.

You need to make sure the member server has access to the domain sam database. Make sure it's simply not a member of a workgroup by the same name as the domain. It needs to be added to the domain as a true member server. I've installed Exchange 5.5 on Win2k on a member server so I do know it works once the domain issues are in line...

Thanks for the info!!!
What else should I need to do if I join Win2K server to the NT4domain via ->My_Computer -> Network_Identification ->Properties -> Click and enter Domain Name. It joins in just fine and list the right name next to the domain label.
Not much experience with Win2K. Thanks again.

Log out/in and hit the advanced tab to make sure you are logging onto the domain. It took me a while to realize that Win2k by default logged you into the LOCAL machine.

I had this same probmem with one of my installs. I had to make a registry change. The location for the canage was Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows NT\currentversion\winlogon\DefaultDomainName
double clice on DefaultDomainName and Make the "value Data" your domain name. For me it had the name of the local computer listed.

You also have to Service Pack Exchange 5.5 up to SP3 or it won't work on the 2k box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back