Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install d-link network card and no connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnothinghead

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2001
US
I have installed a d-link 10/100 NIC in my XP machine. The machine is attached to a linksys wireless router and then on to a cable modem.

I have hooked other machines directly to the linksys and have had no problem with connectivity to the internet.

The traffic seems to be stopping at the card and not getting to the router. I have link lights on the card and on the router. I can not ping the router or traceroute to it.

I have disabled my McAfee firewall but to no avail. Traffic is still not getting out.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Have you tried that NIC anywhere else - it sounds like its just not working? How many wired ports has router - take it you've tried them all? Is NIC showing as ok in device manager in XP?
Is router DHCP server - and if so, is NIC set to pick up IP address automatically?

Thanks for your help

Router has 4 ports, all of them are giving a link light. Router is set as DHCP server. The NIC is set up to pick up the IP automatically.

XP device manager is giving the device a thumbs up.

When I do the ipconfig I get the MS address 169.254.166.101

ipconfig /release /renew does not give me any better results.

any ideas?

Set a static IP address in the same range as your router but outside its DHCP range and then see if it pings

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back