Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdev

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
NL
Hi there,

I know it's a simple question, but I still don't get everything. Do I really need to install CF stuff or can I make it without it, just like PHP3??

And if I can without it, how do I do that. Is there any tutorial for. Because all the tutorial has to do with the CF stuff.

And if I do need to install it.
* Does anyone know a tutorial where I need to install CF Express.
* Does anyone know a tutorial of ColdFusion in Dutch.
* Does anyone know a tutorial that tells me how to use CF on internet and not in your PC personel web server. Because I don't get all that.

I am thinking two days in a row now and I can't get any clue about it. Every tutorial has all with CF terms. Don't they know they were ment for newbies??? Newbies have to understand it, not the grown-up's!!

:) Mr. Developer

i would say : use php3 - maybe it requires a little more thinking when you code, but it's less learning, it's more robust, it's more customizable, it's lighter and yet more powerful, and easier to use (providing you've already developped - if you only know html, then yes i would suggest coldfusion, but as far as i know there is NO cf server on line (but there are tutorials in dutch at allaire's))... and php is free !!!

oups, i missed an essential point : which db format do you want to support ?? php3 only supports mysql i guess ...

hello,

Well I already know PHP, but you have to keep learning, isn't it? I try to expand my knowledge about programming as far as possible.

But what you are trying to say is that CF is for newbies who only know HTML and that PHP is for rookies like me. Well you're right. But that wasn't really my question.

It mayby sound stupid but what I need to know is: what do I need to do to get CF on the net, with just only a NotePad. That's the way I'm always programming (even VRML and PHP). Or is that impossible and do I need to install a program from Allaire. And how does that work? Because when I installed and opened that, I get only a icon in the bottom of my screen?

If you help me out of this I think I will be a lot closer to knowledge!

Iza, thanks for reading!!

<Mr. Developer/>

Well, mrdev, as one newbie to another, I have been using Cold Fusion to build an intranet. You can download free 30 day evaluation copies of Cold Fusion Studio(the authoring tool) and Cold Fusion Express, Professional, or Enterprise editions of the server software. You do have to have the server software. Express edition has limited functionallity, but it is free. They are available at You can write your CF applications in Notepad if you want to, but I would suggest you at least download the evaluation version of Studio and play with it for awhile to get you started. It includes a tutorial, which I found very easy to follow. There is also a tutorial on that you might find useful.

iza, with all due respect, I downloaded PHP, and couldn't even begin to make head nor tails of it. I couldn't even figure out how to install it, let alone write apps for it. I do plan to learn how to use it in the not-to-distant future. Any suggestions where I can go for some info?

mrdev, hope this helps! Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

A couple of other points:

1)Just install Cold Fusion Express on the same drive your web server is residing. You need both web server software (PWS, Apache, or whatever) AND the Cold Fusion server to run Cold Fusion apps.

2)I have Personal Web Server running on my workstation so I can develop the applications, then I transfer them to my intranet web server which happens to be running Windows 2000 Server(not my decision, OK?) Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back