Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

install 8i on w2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjack

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
US
I pulled 8.1.7 off the technet and tried to install it. I
get the hour glass and nothing happend. Any idea wht'a going on??

thanks

hi sjack

check the disk space. It requires approx 1.1GB of space.
Check for the RAM specifications.
Read the readme.txt
did u r machine hang?
ALL the best

bye
iamhere2001in
:)

Can we have Oracle 8i and Oracle 9i both on the same machine?.If they can co exist what are the implications of it.

Appreciate ideas.

Are you using PIV processors? If so you need to alter the installation a little - there is info on how to do this on metalink

Are you on a pentium 4? If so please refer to note:131299.1 I encountered hanging during install on a Dell Pentium 4 on Win2K with 8.1.7 and later found this bug to be the problem. It should resolve your problem.

Hi Cube 2

Oracle allows different oracle homes for installing (from 8i onwards) so it should work.

If you are getting nothing back from starting the installer, try copying the install files from CD to disk (I guess you can skip this step if you did a direct download), and search for the file "symcjit.dll" in it. Rename it to something like "symcjit_bak.dll" and try the install again from the dick copy.

There is a posting for "Work around for Problem with 8.1.7 Client Installation on Pentium 4 Machines" that will supplement the 131299.1 ALERT. Must have this for proper installing. Renaming the symcjit.dll is only part of the process.

Good Luck!
Alicia.Miller@edwards.af.mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back