Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install 2 versions of VFP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesupport

Programmer
May 18, 2004
US
I need to update an application to VFP 9.0 while I continue to maintain an application in VFP 7.0. Is it possible to have both versions installed on the same PC with no dll conflicts, etc.? The only other solution would be to purchase another computer.

I've had v6 v7 and v8 on one machine at a time, and v6 v8 and v9 on a different machine, and never had any problems.

So, yes, you can.

- Bill

Get the best answers to your questions -- See FAQ481-4875.

I've had v6 v7 and v8 on one machine at a time,

I've got 6, 7, 8, 9 plus FPW 2.6, FPD 2.0 and FoxPlus on this PC. Sometimes we just don't realise how lucky we are. FoxPro is very well-behaved if you are used to dealing with the hassle of getting multiple copies of Access to work together.

Geoff Franklin

Likewise, vfp 5, 6 and 9 all on the same machine at the same time.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Install them in different folders and you should be good to go.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Thanks. This saves me $ for another upgraded computer!

I have VFP 2.6 and up on one machine. Another idea is to use VMWare (Virtual machines) Good stuff You can have a virtual machine for each version of VFP

Kevin

Lifesupport,

One small point: If you've already got 9 installed, and then you subsequently install 7, all the file associations will point to 7. In other words, if you double-click on, say, a PRG file in Windows Explorer, it will open it in 7 rather than 9.

Not a big deal, but worth keeping in mind.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back