Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insessorial, Nemathelminth, Mycetophagous, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
National Spelling Bee Enters Final Rounds

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Mycetophagous does not show up on dictionary.com and none of these words are in the MS Word dictionary.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

A 13 year old boy who spells better than I do... That's encouraging... Thanks, CC, you've made my day... [sad]

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

All of the spelling bee words can be found in Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, according to the National Spelling Bee website.

Susan
"'I wish life was not so short,' he thought. 'Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'"
- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lost Road

I think I could have spelled "insessorial" and maybe "mycetaphagous" if told what the word meant. But these kids are demonstrating abilities in spelling far beyond mine.

As an addendum, an eigth-grade boy has won the competition:

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I would have spelt it 'mycetophagous' and would have guessed it was a fungus-eater

myceto - relating to fungus
phagous - related to eating (as in hippophagous - one who eats horsemeat)

Yes, just think, if we had applied ourselves we could've been famous, rich spelling masters. Oh wait...

Just for fun, I did a google search for "mycetophagous". The very first reference returned was THIS PAGE.

Stupidly, the third reference was titled: Definition of mycetophagous - WordReference.com Dictionary. But when I went there (and killed the popup ad) this is what I got: "We found no translation for 'mycetophagous' in our English Dictionary".

Doesn't that strike you as being completely counterproductive? If I'm searching for a word, I certainly don't want a link that tells me that don't know what the word means!!!

I guess this is one case where google fails to do its' job properly.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back