Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Text Fields in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljj

Programmer
Oct 26, 2006
GB
I need to create Text fields on a word template, so that when a user presses TAB it takes them to that field, they enter in the text as per the prompt and then when they press TAB again it takes them to the next field. Ive seen it done but cant quite work it out, any help would be appreciated

You need to look at inserting fields. Try under the Insert Menu, and locate Field.

Then insert the kind you want.

Cheers,
Dave

"Yes, I'll stop finding bugs in the software - as soon as you stop writing bugs into the software." <-- Me

For all your testing needs: Forum1393

I had found that part, what I wasnt sure of was when I click TAB I want it to go just to the next field ? how can I do that ?

You have to protect the document for forms. Tools->Protect Document then select editing restrictions and filling in forms. You don't have to add a password if you don't want to

Ian

Hi,
If you bring up the Forms toolbar (View/Toolbars/Forms), you may find everything you need, including the "lock" which makes the fields "tab-able". There are text fields, drop down lists, checkboxes to pick from.
Hope this helps!

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Hi,
You can use the Forms toolbar (View/Toolbars/Forms). It has text fields, drop down lists, checkboxes, etc., as well as the "lock" tool that makes it "tab-able".
Hope this helps,

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Just to add my two cents...yes, use the Forms toolbar to add formfields. Do not use Insert > Fields. Formfields have the Tab usage (tab to next formfield) built-in. You must protect the document for forms for formfields to work this way. Tools > Protect Document (or use the Protect form button on the Forms toolbar).

Note that protecting the document for forms locks the user out of doing ANY editing to content. Protecting for forms allows ONLY inputs into formfields.

You can allow edits to parts of the document by using Continuous Section breaks. In the Protect Document dialog you can uncheck those sections you do not wish to protect. Those sections will permit edits.

However...even in the unprotected sections, protecting a document for forms disables certain features and functions. For example, even in a unprotected section you can not insert a bookmark; you can not insert a page number; you can not insert a textbox. You can not change borders and shadings. And oddly (and I have NO idea why), you can not do a Word Count on a protected document. That last one seems quite bizarre to me.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back