Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting text field in Word Template without affecting exiting formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalBox

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2005
US
Hello, just wondering if it is possible to restrict a text field to a specific area of my Word 2010 template form. I created a Word template that's pretty tight for space. I've placed a text form field in the right side of my template, but when I enter text in this field and it begins to wrap around, it messes up my formatting on the left side. I have check boxes on the left side. Once my text wraps around, it puts a spaces between my check boxes on the left. Is this solvable?

You could possibly do it by inserting two Continuous Section Breaks, then formatting the portion of the document between them for two columns, then inserting a Column Page Break before the text field.

The simplest and only effective method is to insert the content control (field) into a table cell that has a fixed height and width. Although that doesn't stop someone typing in more than will fit the display area, it does ensure nothing else on the page moves. Conversely, even if a cell that allows for multiple lines of text doesn't get filled, everything else on the page remains in its pre-defined position.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

First of all thank you both for your suggestions. As macropod suggested, I entered a table cell into my document but it just moved around my formatting on the left side of my document, actually it added a space the height of the table cell.

That suggests you inserted the table with text wrapping, which you shouldn't need.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back