Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting symbols in field

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi81

Programmer
Jan 13, 2007
Hi All,
I am trying to insert symbols in a field of a table.

I am using the datatype nvarchar for the field.
However when i tried to insert a statement with the symbol pi, it comes out as following:
(A) 100? cm2 (B) 140? cm2 (C) 200? cm2

All the pi symbol are converted to ?.

Can ne 1 tell me how i can store such strings in the field.

Thanks

Can you post your insert statment. I would like to see how you are trying to insert pi.

Well Done is better than well said
- Ben Franklin

And for another, when you say "it comes out" are you displaying the results in a unicode-capable display window? Just because in one client you see a question mark doesn't mean that the correct value is not actually being stored, until you verify that client can display that mark.

[COLOR=black #d0d0d0]When I walk, I sometimes bump into things. I am closing my eyes so that the room will be empty.[/color]

currently i am not using any insert statement ......i was just trying to copy the string from a word document and then pasting it in the field.

pasting it in the field
This isn't possible without some client utility. Do you mean, using Query Analyzer? What tool are you using?

[COLOR=black #d0d0d0]When I walk, I sometimes bump into things. I am closing my eyes so that the room will be empty.[/color]

Sure it is..I am not using any tool.
Open the table through enterprise manager or sql server management studio (for 2005), copy the string from the word document and paste it in the appropriate table field.

refresh the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back