Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

sv22

Technical User
Aug 18, 2009
US
I have several projects that are all based on the same template and include the same tasks. Each template includes the same exact columns (some of which I customized). I am trying to insert all of my projects into one master project so that I can view them all at the same time. When I do this by opening a new blank project (which by default, does not include my customized columns) and simply clicking "insert" and choosing "project," I lose all custimization. Does anyone know how I can load all of my individual projects into one master project while keeping all of the custimization I have already set up for each individual project? Thanks!

When you create a new blank document, it is based on the global.mpt template. If you copy your customizations to the global.mpt they'll be there for the new documents. Use the Organizer to copy your customized views, calendars, forms, etc. to the global.mpt.

If you don't want to change the default template, create and name another project file and use the Organizer to copy your customized stuff into it.

The Organizer is accessed via Tools > Organizer

I have the same problem I did copy all my customized field ( Resources field Example Text1, Text3....) to Glabal.mpt
still when combine in Master project i still do not see the customized field , i have to add the field again to the Master project please advice
Mazin

You have to copy Tables and Views, too. Copying fields is just one of several steps.

Best approach:
1. View > Gantt (or whatever starting view you want) and set up the display exactly the way you want.
2. View > Table:xxx > More tables. Note the table name. Click on the Copy button. Give the copied table the same name and add "-SAVE" to the end of the name; make sure "Show in menu" is blank.
3. Project > Filtered for:xxx > More filters. Note the filter name. Click on the Copy button. (Note, if the filter is "All Tasks" then you can skip this step.) Give the copied filter the same name and add "-SAVE" to the end of the name; make sure "Show in menu" is blank.
4. View > More views > New > Single
Set Table to the the name you noted in step 2.
Set Group to No Group
Set Filter to the name you noted in step 3.
5. Tools > Organizer and copy the two views, two filters and two tables to Global.mpt

Why have the "-SAVE" table, filter, view? Because someone is going to mess up your nice displays. This way, you can simply copy the -SAVE table, filter, and view to overwrite the messed up displays.

In Master Project When i link tasks between projects when viewing only the linked task between project i loose the linke tasks to other tasks in the original project i hope it is clear please advice
Thanks in advance

VVAC123 -- this site works best when new questions are put in a new thread.

If tasks are not displayed (because they are excluded by a filter or because they are inside a collapsed summary task, for example) then the predecessor/successor linkage lines to/from those tasks are not displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back