Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Photos In Publisher '98

Status
Not open for further replies.

uppervaughans

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
CA
I am using Publisher '98 and am experiencing problems with the appearance of digital photographs when posted to the web. Photos inserted in my working document look fine but when previewed or posted, look like paint by number pictures with exagerated color splotches. I am shooting with a Canon, handling pictures with Adobe Photodelux and I've saved in a variety of file formats before inserting with no result. I've changed photo resolution and size without result. I'm using Windows XP but experienced the same problem with Windows '98 and feel that the problem lies with Publisher. I have posted photos with Netscape Composer and LMSOFT's Web Creator with excellent results, however neither of these applications are as friendly or versatile as Publisher. Can anyone help me keep using Publisher?

My guess is that your original photos are in JPG format with 24 bit color a and Publisher is converting them to GIF's with 8 bit color when it saves to the web page. Try converting the photos to GIF format with an optimized color palate and some error diffusion before putting them in Publisher.

algraff ::)

Thanks for the suggestion. I usually save as a JPG and saving as a GIF helps quality somewhat. I am editing photos with Adobe Photo Delux (version 3.1) and I don't see either optimized color palette or error diffusion as options. It offers an adaptive or system palette and colors from 8 up to 255. Default is adaptive with 255 colors. Choosing the system palette presents a third option of interlaced or best matched. Interlaced is the default. I've played around with all of those options and the default - 255 colors, adaptive palette, interlaced(whatever that means) produces the best result but still not as good as it should be.
Jim

Howdy -

There are a few reasons why Publisher 98 might be mangling Web photos, but the most likely are 1) Publisher is converting it to a GIF, which is bad, and 2) you've resized the photo after inserting it into your publication, which makes things even worse. To solve both problems,

1. When you insert the picture, click the arrow next to the Insert button and chose Link to File. This tells Publisher's Web code to use the original (JPG) file instead of converting it to a lower-quality .GIF.

2. After inserting the picture, make sure it's sized to Actual or Original Size. If you need the picture to be bigger or smaller, resize it in a graphics program BEFORE inserting it into Publisher.

Not that Microsoft needs more of your money, but Publisher 2000 or 2002 handle pictures a lot better than 98.

Good luck,

Mark Scapicchio

Thanks Mark. Your solution is the ticket. I had tried using GIF's and noticed that resizing after insertion into Publisher made a difference but didn't ever try that combo together. Using a photo editor in order to manage size is a real pain. I think I'll consider a new version of Publisher. I've never found software that was so easy to use. I have Frontpage with my Office suite and I'm struggling to get used to it but it just isn't the same. Thanks again, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back