Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting documents made in dreamweaver into Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat37

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
I wrote earlier and schase was kind enough to answer me but I am still unsure. If I create a document in dreamweaver to use as a document to send to my customers (for specials and such) and I insert the document as an html document into Outlook Express I am not linking it to my web site, it would be its own document (i think) but the pitures are not showing up. Now i know that I have not uploaded them to my web but would I need to. I have seen other people in this industry send me these type of documents via e-mail but I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Please help!!

Hi Kat,

It is an item that is easy to get confused over. No worries - I have been there myself (and sometimes still do!)

The best way to explain it is to break it down.

First - when you make a website, the pictures are typically located right on your harddrive - you just point the software to look where they are. When you upload the website it manages the links to display the photos.

Outlook and outlook express do much the same - you can create templates, stationary - all that will manage the picture links - but it carries the pictures along with it. If you attach a html page created in dreamweaver - it will not carry the picture links with it.

Another reason to link the pictures to the I found that some pictures I made here - were not viewable by our customers, it depends on the customer's computer.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

One more stupid question Stuart and then I will leave you alone. Do I save the template with pictures in Dreamweaver as the template or do I save the whole template in outlook? I cannot believe i am having trouble with this.

No problem - it's one of those things that once you do it a couple times you'll be flying with it.

If you will be linking pictures to the web - save in Dreamweaver as .html

If you wish to make a template in Outlook - do the entire thing in Outlook.

Personally I would recommend putting and linking to pictures on the web for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Make sense?

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate your time,why I am having a hard time is beyond me. I would prefer to send my documents in a dreamweaver form (they look better) Outlook does not give you many options to make your document stand out. (not that I am aware of) But If I link the document to I would have to save it in my site. wouldn't that mess up my existing site? oh well I'll give it a try

Thanks
Kerrie

Hi Kat,

Not exactly,

You are just linking to graphics on the web. It will not have any bearing at all on the remainder of your website.

To use the template after that in Outlook Express click the little down arrow next to create mail - pick select stationary - browse to where it is located on your harddrive (the html document).

This would give you the Dreamweaver "look" you desire - will always show the pictures for your viewers (unless your website is down or bad link) and still use Outlook Express.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart appreciate the patience!

Hey don't worry about it - I've been there ohhhh one or two
million times :)

Stuart

Does it ever get any easier? I realize dreamweaver is a complex program and web design can sure take a lot of time to master but there are days I think I am over my head

Kerrie

Yes it does,

just keep plugging away with it and before you know it you'll be eating a bowl of popcorn, watching tv and making web pages with your toes. - but watch for the little popcorn things that get stuck between your teeth :: winks ::

Stuart

I hear the kernels are tough on the keyboard too!! Have to be neat while you eat!! It always seems the more basic things throw you for a loop and the tougher items are easier to master. Oh well keep on truckin as they say

Kerrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back